Eastern Courier : January 16th 2013
www.easterncourier.co.nz 11 EASTERN COURIER, JANUARY 16, 2013 NEWS The Cut complementary o er applies to new subscribers only. All new and existing subscribers are automatically entered in the Queenstown PGA Championship trip draw -- to be drawn on February 4, 2013. O er ends February 1, 2013. Not available in conjunction with any other o er. Total subscription price is $101.40 for 12 months. For full terms and conditions visit sundaystartimes.co.nz/subscribe. SUBSCRIPTION OFFER To subscribe visit sundaystartimes.co.nz/subscribe OR call 0800 SUNDAY (786 329) Subscribe to the Sunday Star-Times today from just $1.95 per week and we'll send you a years subscription to The Cut magazine. Tee off your Sunday with Sunday Star-Times Go to sundaystartimes.co.nz/subscribe for prize details WINa trip to NZ PGA in Queenstown Subscribe & be in to Valued at $2,800 + Tiny batteries put children at risk Little horrors: Children are at great risk if they swallow lithium batteries. Coin-shaped lithium batteries can be found in everyday devices, such as talking and singing children's books and holiday greeting cards, mini remote control devices, calculators, miniature torches and flameless electronic candles, reading lights and bathroom scales. Examine devices, making sure the battery compartment is secure Keep coin-sized button batteries out of sight and reach If swallowing is suspected, go immediately to a local accident and emergency clinic or call 0800 POISON (0800 764 766) Tell others about this threat and share the safety messages. PREVENT INJURIES TO CHILDREN Little batteries in common house- hold devices can do enormous harm if children swallow them. And often it's all too easy for kids to access the batteries. Safekids New Zealand and Con- sumer Affairs are warning parents and caregivers about the potential dangers of swallowing coin-shaped lithium batteries. The batteries, commonly found in singing greeting cards, talking books, key remotes, some television remotes and other small electronic devices, can lodge in the throats of babies and young children. Once there, saliva triggers an electrical current which causes a chemical reaction that can severely burn the oesophagus. The burns can occur in as little as two hours. Repairing that damage is painful and can require feeding tubes, breathing tubes and multiple surgeries. From March 2009 to February 2012, there were 61 battery ingestion-related cases at Starship Children's Health. Seventeen of those cases required general anaesthetic to have the bat- tery removed and for further treat- ment. The threat of button battery ingestion injuries is invisible, Safe- kids NZ says. Many devices containing the bat- teries are not toys and have com- partments easy to open. Too often, these devices are left within reach of young children,'' a spokeswoman says. Talking books, singing greeting cards and car key remotes are often shared with children for their amus- ement. The batteries inside, if swal- lowed, can cause serious injury and even death.''
January 11th 2013
January 18th 2013